Language and Literary Culture of the USA - AC
The Academic Certificate (AC) in Language and Literary Culture of the USA is a course of study designed to provide students a strong foundation in the oral and written structure and vocabulary of North American English, academic and professional reading and writing, and knowledge and appreciation of representative literature and culture of the USA in all its diversity.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses within the program.
|ENG101||First-Year Composiion (3) OR|
|ENG107||First-Year Composition for ESL (3)||3|
|ENG102||First-Year Composition (3) OR|
|ENG108||First-Year Composition for ESL (3)||3|
|ENG109||Business Writing for ESL (3) OR|
|ENG111||Technical and Professional Writing (3)||3|
|ENH111||Literature and the American Experience||3|
|CRE101||College Critical Reading (3) OR|
|Equivalent as indicated by assessment||0-3|
|ENG298AA||Special Projects (1) OR|
|ESL298AA||Special Projects (1)||1|
|Complete three courses from the following disciplines:|
|ASB Any ASB Anthropology course(s)|
|COM Any COM Communication course(s)|
|EDU Any EDU Education course(s)|
|ENG Any ENG English course(s) expect courses used to satisfy Required Courses area.|
|ENH Any ENH English Humanities course(s)|
|HIS Any HIS History course(s)|
|HUM Any HUM Humanities course(s)|
|IBS Any IBS International Business course(s)|
|IGS Any IGS Integrated Studies course(s)|
|MUP Any MUP Music: Performance course(s)|
|PSY Any PSY Psychology course(s)|
|REL Any REL Religious Studies course(s)|
|SOC Any SOC Sociology course(s)|
- Demonstrate effective writing skills. (ENG101, ENG107)
- Demonstrate skill in research, note-taking, organization, and documentation in the preparation and writing of a research paper. (ENG102, ENG108)
- Write memos and business letters. (ENG109 or ENG111)
- Organize and develop persuasive business presentations. (ENG109 or ENG111)
- Identify and describe various interpretations of "the American Dream" in American culture and literature. (ENH111)
- Explain how the following environments, agrarian, small town, suburban, urban, the South, New England, the Midwest, the Southwest, and the West, have contributed to American culture. (ENH111)
- Describe ways in which Native Americans, Black Americans, Hispanic Americans, and immigrants have contributed to American culture and literature. (ENH111)
- Read and analyze varied and challenging reading materials, and analyze, synthesize, and evaluate these materials through written discourse. (CRE101, ENG101, ENG107, ENG102, ENG108)
- Select, prepare, and present a discipline-related independent study project in accordance with established methodology and guidelines. (ENG298AA, ESL298AA)
Additional information is available at MCCCD's Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation.
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change.
Please refer to the Official MCCCD CCTA website for official programs information.