Journalism and New Media Studies - CCL
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Journalism and New Media Studies program is designed to prepare students to work in the publishing industry whether they are just starting their career path in journalism or have a bachelor's degree in another discipline. The CCL includes courses required in journalism programs at universities throughout the state and country. An internship in journalism as well as a juried electronically submitted portfolio of published articles are also required to complete the certificate.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for each course listed in the Required Courses area.
Completion of Program Perquisites.
|ENG101||First-Year Composition (3) OR|
|ENG107||First-Year Composition for ESL (3)||3|
|ENG235||Magazine Article Writing (3) OR|
|JRN234||Feature Writing (3)||3|
|JRN203||Writing for Online Media||3|
|MCO120||Media and Society||3|
|JRN133||Development of Small Publications||3|
|JRN298AA||Special Projects (1) OR|
|JRN298AB||Special Projects (2)||1-2|
- Write an essay on a central idea using source material as support. (ENG101)
- Gather news and report it in journalistic style on deadline. (JRN201)
- Describe the evolution of media and its impact on society. (MCO120)
- Apply journalism classroom instruction to work experience during a journalism internship. (JRN240AB)
- Write, edit, and market a variety of feature styles ranging from the How To to the Feature Report. (JRN234/ENG235)
- Develop a portfolio for juried review of 3-4 published objective stories with one from a publication other than the school newspaper. (JRN290)
- Apply reporting skills to publishing in multiple platforms online. (JRN203)
- Write to publication standards on deadline. (JRN215)
Additional information is available at MCCCD's Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation.
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change.
Please refer to the Official MCCCD CCTA website for official programs information.